We have been at the heart of the UK energy market for 25 years and are today playing a critical role in decarbonising the UK energy system.
As a major energy services and smart metering company with technology, data and sustainability at the core of our ethos and business model, SMS is committed to delivering the future of smart energy.
We are proud of being both an equal opportunity employer and an accredited real living wage employer! We look out for our customers and our focus is ‘putting our people first’.
Our people enable us to do all of this by living our 5 core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride.
Reporting to Head of Platform Development, the candidate will focus on DevOps activities and the overall management of the growing infrastructure of our FlexiGrid software platform.
The candidate will play a key role in the continued design and development of the FlexiGrid platform which controls domestic and commercial batteries, smart electric vehicle (EV) chargers, flexible heating systems and other grid-connected flexibility assets. The platform is designed to interact with various external platforms and APIs including inputs from energy trading markets, weather forecasts, electrical grid signals and site-level energy consumption patterns.
Building and maintaining internal software applications engineered to a high standard of quality and maintainability using best practices and tools while providing support, guidance, and assistance to less experienced colleagues.
- Building and setting up new development tools and infrastructure
- Working on ways to automate and improve development and release processes
- Maintain and fine-tune existing applications and services to meet performance targets as business expands
- Working with software developers and software engineers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended
- Plan and execute projects in a timely manner
- Engage with IT to aid in system administration for small number of Linux clients
- Investigate and fix root cause of application defects
- Collaborate in reviews of specifications, with others as appropriate
- Uphold SMS’ core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride
Education and Professional Qualifications
Degree-qualified, preferably in computer science or related subject
Skills and knowledge
- Excellent working knowledge of Linux
- Cloud infrastructure experience
- System Administration experience
- Experience with creating and maintaining Continuous Integration pipelines (Jenkins a plus)
- Proficient understanding of version control using Git
- Shell & Python scripting
- Familiarity with best practices for security and scalability
- Familiarity with server side software concepts
- Working in an Agile development environment
- Knowledge of AWS cloud computing services
- Familiarity with Docker
- Familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Knowledge of unit testing methodologies and automated testing platforms
- ISO27001 familiarity
- Knowledge of Windows system admin concepts
- Knowledge of the energy sector
We support Mental, Physical and Financial wellbeing, and we're proud of our benefits package to reward great talent which includes:
- 25 personal holiday days per year with additional allocation of 8 public holidays (includes options to buy and sell)
- After 5 years’ service, you will be rewarded with an additional 5 days annual leave increasing your total to 30 personal days and 8 public holidays.
Keeping our employees mentally and physically healthy is one of the things that matters most to us.
- Employee Assistance Programme (free access to counselling & support) with easy access via My Healthy Advantage app.
- Access to SmartHealth app - includes a free 24/7 online GP and a range of wellbeing services.
- Cycle Scheme - lower your carbon footprint whilst staying healthy.
- Eligibility to join our Share Incentive Plan following 6 months employment
- Life Insurance cover where your next of kin will receive 4 times your annual salary
- Refer a friend bonus (£500)
- Corporate season ticket travel
- Length of service cash incentive
- Automatic enrolment into the Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme following 3 months employment.
The future looks bright
Your development is important to us - we support and encourage development including internal and external accredited courses, study support and E-Learning and internal promotion.