SMS Plc are leaders in the smart energy revolution, fitting over a million properties with smart meters and counting. At the heart of the UK energy market for over two decades, we play a critical role in transforming and decarbonising the UK energy system. We are proud of being both an equal opportunity employer and an accredited real living wage employer! We look out for our customers and our focus is ‘putting our people first’.
Our people enable us to do all of this by living our 5 core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride.
The role of the Lead Software Developer is to build and maintain internal software applications engineered to a high standard of quality and maintainability using best practices and tools.
- Work closely with Product Owners to deliver application changes requested by business functions
- Investigate and fix root cause of application defects
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable and reliable code
- Help maintain code quality with a high level of automated test coverage
- Collaborate in reviews of specifications, with others as appropriate
You must have:
- Excellent working knowledge of C# (.NET) language
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and SOLID principles
- Familiarity with various design and patterns
- Ability to write clean, readable and easily maintainable code
- Knowledge of unit testing methodologies and automated testing platforms
- Excellent working knowledge of Oracle PL/SQL
- Proficient understanding of version control using Git and / or TFS
- Solaris Operating System
The following would be advantageous however is not essential:
- Excellent working knowledge of Java programming languages
- Knowledge of Agile development processes
- Knowledge of AWS cloud computing services
Experience and Education
- Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related subject
- Working as a professional developer or significant open-source contributor
- Working with complex database schemas and complex SQL queries
- 25 personal days per year, with an additional allocation of 8 public holidays
- After 5 years of service you will be rewarded with an additional 5 days annual leave taking it to 30 personal days and 8 public holidays.
- Refer a friend bonus (£500)
- Corporate season ticket travel
- Automatic enrolment into the Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme (will commence following 3 months employment)
- Eligibility to join the Share Incentive Plan following 6 months employment
- We also have you covered with Life Insurance where your next of kin will receive 4 times your annual salary