SMS Plc are leaders in the smart energy revolution, fitting over a million properties with smart meters and counting. At the heart of the UK energy market for over two decades, we play a critical role in transforming and decarbonising the UK energy system. We are proud of being both an equal opportunity employer and an accredited real living wage employer! We look out for our customers and our focus is ‘putting our people first’.
Our people enable us to do all of this by living our 5 core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride
The Senior Software Developer is reposnsible for building and maintaining internal software applications engineered to a high standard of quality and maintainability using best practices and tools.
You will also provide support, guidance, and assistance to less experienced colleagues.
- Work closely with Business Analysts, Product Owners and QA Analysts to deliver application changes requested by business functions
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable and reliable code
- Help maintain code quality with a high level of automated test coverage
- Investigate and fix root cause of application defects
- Mentoring and coaching junior developers
- Collaborate in reviews of specifications, with others as appropriate
- Uphold SMS’ core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride
- Engender a culture of ‘Continuous Improvement’ and embrace the Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality systems employed by SMS.
You must have:
- Excellent working knowledge of C# and .NET programming
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and SOLID principles
- Familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Ability to write clean, readable and easily maintainable code
- Knowledge of unit testing methodologies and automated testing platforms
- Excellent working knowledge of SQL
- Proficient understanding of version control using Git and / or TFS
- Knowledge of Agile development processes
The following would be advantageous however not essential:
- Knowledge of AWS cloud computing services
Experience and Education
- Degree (or equivalent), preferably in computer science or related subject
- Working with C# and .NET as a professional developer or significant open-source contributor
- Web application development
- Working with TypeScript
- Working with unit testing methodologies and automated testing platforms
- Working with Git and / or TFS
- Working in an Agile development environment
- Working with complex database schemas and complex SQL queries
- Working with AWS cloud computing services
- Mentoring junior level developers
- 25 personal days per year, with an additional allocation of 8 public holidays
- After 5 years of service you will be rewarded with an additional 5 days annual leave taking it to 30 personal days and 8 public holidays.
- Refer a friend bonus (£500)
- Corporate season ticket travel
- Automatic enrolment into the Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme (will commence following 3 months employment)
- Eligibility to join the Share Incentive Plan following 6 months employment
- We also have you covered with Life Insurance where your next of kin will receive 4 times your annual salary