We have been at the heart of the UK energy market for 25 years and are today playing a critical role in decarbonising the UK energy system.
As a major energy services and smart metering company with technology, data and sustainability at the core of our ethos and business model, SMS is committed to delivering the future of smart energy.
We are proud of being both an equal opportunity employer and an accredited real living wage employer! We look out for our customers and our focus is ‘putting our people first’.
Our people enable us to do all of this by living our 5 core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride.
Reporting to Head of Platform Development, this role will focus on backend software development of our FlexiGrid software platform while supporting and mentoring junior software developers in the team.
You will play a key role in the continued design and development of the FlexiGrid platform which controls domestic and commercial batteries, smart electric vehicle (EV) chargers, flexible heating systems and other grid-connected flexibility assets. The platform is designed to interact with various external platforms and APIs including inputs from energy trading markets, weather forecasts, electrical grid signals and site-level energy consumption patterns. This involves communicating via Modbus - and sometimes, through high-level third-party APIs – through a local network.
You will be required to build and maintain internal software applications engineered to a high standard of quality and maintainability using best practices and tools.
Providing support, guidance, and assistance to less experienced colleagues.
• Developing software, which is testable, dependable and maintainable
• Analysing, designing and developing new applications while taking projects through the entire software development cycle from concept to product release, always adhering to industry best practices
• Maintaining and fine-tuning existing applications to meet performance targets as business expands
• Working on ways to automate and improve development and release processes
• Planning and executing projects in a timely manner
• Ensuring your software meets the highest security standards and is ISO27001 compliant
• Collaborating in reviews of specifications, with others as appropriate
Education and Professional Qualifications
- • Hold a relevant BEng / BSc or higher degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar (or any other related technical discipline if sufficient experience in software development / programming)
Skills and knowledge
- Strong programming background with Python or Go experience preferred
- Experience with REST APIs
- Experience with cloud-based servers
- Linux familiarity (from a developer's perspective) highly desirable
- Familiarity with relational databases (SQL)
- Git experience
- Ability and desire to learn and apply new programming languages
- Familiarity with best practices for security and scalability
- Familiarity with server side software concepts
- 25 personal holiday days per year with additional allocation of 8 public holidays
- After 5 years of service you will be rewarded with an additional 5 days annual leave taking it to 30 personal days and 8 public holidays.
- Length of service cash incentive
- Refer a friend bonus (£500)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into the Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme (will commence following 3 months employment)
- Eligibility to join the Share Incentive Plan following 6 months employment
- Life Insurance cover where your next of kin will receive 4 times your annual salary