We have been at the heart of the UK energy market for 25 years and are today playing a critical role in decarbonising the UK energy system. As a major energy services and smart metering company with technology, data and sustainability at the core of our ethos and business model, SMS is committed to delivering the future of smart energy.
We are proud of being both an equal opportunity employer and an accredited real living wage employer! We look out for our customers and our focus is ‘putting our people first’.
Our people enable us to do all of this by living our 5 core values: Safety, Customer excellence, Sustainability, Innovation and Pride.
Software Developers at SMS Plc work as part of a multi-disciplinary team extending and maintaining critical business systems. The role involves writing software to a high standard of quality and maintainability using best practices and tools.
Working closely with business analysts and product owners the software delivery teams play an important part in developing systems that fulfil new business opportunities and make existing system more efficient.
Software Developers are involved in the full DevOps cycle, by designing, building, testing, deploying, operating and maintaining internal software applications at SMS.
- Work closely with Product Owners and Business Analysts to deliver application changes requested by business functions
- Investigate and fix root cause of application defects
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable and reliable code
- Maintain code quality by writing automated unit and integration tests for all production code
- Collaborate in code reviews of other people’s work, as appropriate
- Mentoring and coaching less experience developers
- Carry out DevOps activities including defining AWS infrastructure as code using CloudFormation templates
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/MEMBERSHIPS –
- Degree (or equivalent), preferably in computer science or related subject
- AWS Certified Associate – Developer
KNOWLEDGE - The following list includes the practical experience required for the role.
- Professional software development using C# programming language
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and SOLID principles
- Familiarity with software design patterns
- Unit testing methodologies and automated testing platforms
- Excellent working knowledge of SQL
- Version control using Git
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) – experience with Cloudformation, ECS, Cloudwatch and Lambda services
- Containerisation using Docker
- Agile development processes
- Seeks feedback and demonstrates desire for self-development
- Curious about new ideas and able to translate them into recommended improvements
- Ability to quickly learn new technical concepts
- Attention to detail and quality focused
- Contributes to team development through sharing expertise
We support Mental, Physical and Financial wellbeing, and we're proud of our benefits package to reward great talent which includes:
- 25 personal holiday days per year with additional allocation of 8 public holidays (includes options to buy and sell)
- After 5 years’ service, you will be rewarded with an additional 5 days annual leave increasing your total to 30 personal days and 8 public holidays.
Keeping our employees mentally and physically healthy is one of the things that matters most to us.
- Employee Assistance Programme (free access to counselling & support) with easy access via My Healthy Advantage app.
- Access to SmartHealth app - includes a free 24/7 online GP and a range of wellbeing services.
- Cycle Scheme - lower your carbon footprint whilst staying healthy.
- Eligibility to join our Share Incentive Plan following 6 months employment
- Life Insurance cover where your next of kin will receive 4 times your annual salary
- Refer a friend bonus (£500)
- Corporate season ticket travel
- Length of service cash incentive
- Automatic enrolment into the Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme following 3 months employment.
The future looks bright
Your development is important to us - we support and encourage development including internal and external accredited courses, study support and E-Learning and internal promotion.